01 May 2015

My Secrets to Flawless Looking Foundation

I used to wonder - when looking at magazine covers or editorial photos - how does the skin look so smooth and gorgeous without looking like there's a lot of foundation being put on? Trust me it's a lot going on the face. Especially when it's for printing or video. 

I love trying out makeup on my face just so that I can experiment on different looks and colours. You can see them all on my Instagram account. I have been experimenting with skin for a long time now and only for the past few of years I got it almost right. Why almost? Well I believe there are an abundance of tips and tricks out there and what I have discovered may not include all of them. 

It starts with the skin
Who doesn't want flawless looking skin? But how many really are willing to invest in taking care of their skin? If you want your foundation to look 'like skin' or 'flawless-looking', you have to look at the foundation of your foundation. Your skin. If the skin is already taken care of and is in a good condition, it doesn't take a lot of makeup to make it beautiful. Makeup will only enhance it. How to take care your skin? That topic deserves a post of its own. 

Well moisturised skin
When your skin is well moisturised, the foundation will blend nicely on your skin. In a way it clings on and it will stay longer as well. That's why it is important to understand your skin type so that you can use proper moisturiser for your skin prior to putting on makeup. Even if your skin is oily, moisturiser is a must. Look for oil free or gel type moisturiser. For dry skin, you can use the more creamier type. 

Is foundation primer necessary
Yes and no. Nowadays a wide range of primer has been developed for many reasons - to smooth the skin, to give sun protection, to correct colour, to give radiance - just to name a few. In that case you will have to look at the needs of your skin. The use of primer also helps the makeup to stay on longer. Some primers have multiple purposes so you get more mileage with the use of a single primer. 

That being said, sometimes I skip primer when I am using my CC cream for daily use. Or when I only need the makeup for only a couple of hours, like when going out for dinner function. 

Choose the right colour of foundation
It is crucial to match the foundation to your skin. Not lighter, not darker. The effect of foundation is to make your skin to look even toned, not to make your skin fairer than it is. With the contouring hype going on right now, I would recommend to get the shade of foundation that matches the highlight tone of your skin. What's the highlight tone you ask? Our face is normally not one colour all over. Some parts are lighter and some are darker than the others. So you can look at your forehead or the top of your cheeks for the lightest colour of your skin.  If you want to contour, choose a shade or two darker, and blend well to make sure the effect is soft and subtle. That way your face will look neither too made up nor too flat. 

Setting the foundation
When you're using cream or liquid foundation, depending on the formulation, you will need to set it to stop it from moving. Yes it can move. Some liquid foundation however can set on its own after a while. So choose the right setting powder for your foundation. If you're looking for a lot of additional coverage, you can use two-way cake. Otherwise, sheer pressed powder or loose powder will give a slight add-on coverage. I personally prefer to let my foundation set on its own for dewy finish. If I want a matte look, then I will use the translucent loose powder, which will not alter the foundation colour at all. My favourite foundation at the moment is Mary Kay matte-wear liquid foundation which has the coverage and finish that I love. It will set on its own without using any powder. 


So I hope this sharing of mine is helpful for you. Happy experimenting and playing with makeup! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...